FAQsUpdatedWednesday August 14, 2019 bySeymour Area Youth Football League.
Frequently Asked Questions about SAYFL
1. When does registration begin and end? -- We open registration each year at Kids' Fest in late April. Early registration runs through the final day of the combine (at midnight), then late registration runs until the end of August.
1.5 Who can play? -- Any Girl or Boy entering the 3rd - 6th grade in the upcoming season can register for Football. Any Girl or Boy entering 2nd - 6th grade in the updcoming season can register for Cheer.
2. What measures does SAYFL take to keep my child safe? -- We comply with USA Football's Heads Up Tackling which is a nationwide certification program all of our coaches Player Safety Coaches (PSC) complete. They learn how to properly fit equipment and prevent and also see the symptoms of concussions and heat illness.They teach proper Heads Up tackling fundamentals that have proven to greatly reduce concussions and injuries. Our PSCs checks on practices throughout the season to ensure coaches are continuing to teach the proper techniques. We have at least one PSC on site for each game day in case of an injury. We take great pride in being a very safe league!
3. When are practices and games? -- Following the 3-Day Mandatory Player Combine, coaches draft fair teams and will contact the parents of their team to communicate practice times and locations. All Practices will be held at Seymour High School, usually practices are 1.5-2 hours and are 2-3 times per week. Games start two weeks after the Combine. We have 6 league game days and do not play the weekend of Octoberfest.
4. Who are the officials? -- We have IHSAA certified officials for each game. We are very lucky to have such high caliber officials! They teach the kids on the field just as much as the coaches! They play a key role in your child's learning. Please thank them! Want to BECOME a registered IHSAA official? Follow this link --> http://www.ihsaa.org/Officials/Licensing/tabid/572/Default.aspx
5. How can I help? -- We are always looking for dedicated volunteers! We need coaches (click on the Become a Coach tab on the home page), team parents, chain crew on game days, and general help during our events. Please reach out (Contact Us tab) to volunteer! If you're looking to donate, please click on the Support Us tab on the home page.
6. How will I be updated with league changes? -- Please like us on Facebook: we post all updates there. This website will also reflect any changes and we send emails/texts through the website to those who have enabled that option in their account. Coaches will relay team specific updates to you.
7. How can I apply for a scholarship? -- Scholarship applications are available to download here, or you can fill it out real time during any of our live registration events (bring your most recent paystub for fast approvals). Upon award, you can create an account online and the scholarship credit will be added to your account. You can apply the credit in your shopping cart.
8. Will I have to travel in this league? -- No. All league games are in Seymour. However, later in the season, we do put together an "AllStar" team that anyone can join. That team may travel to play other teams in the area.
9. What if we already have equipment? -- You my use your own equipment with board inspection and approval. Your child will need a white helmet (we prefer RIDDELL) and it will need to be inspected by our Player Safety Coach first. Your child needs black pants (we prefer "integrated" pants - pants with the pads in them). As for shoulder pads, we prefer RIDDELL and our Player Safety Coach will need to inspect these as well before your child uses them at practice.
10. We were late to register, can we still participate? -- Yes. Registration is open till the end of August and in order to be eligible to play in their first game, your child must have a minimum of THREE (3) CONTACT practices and the balance must be paid in full.
11. What does it cost? -- Early Registration for Football is $100 until the first day of the combine, after that it is $120. Early Registration for Cheer is $60 until first day of the combine, after that it is $80. All parents are welcome to apply for the Goodman Scholarship if there is a financial need. No child will be turned away due to finances.
12. What equipment do I need to supply? -- SAYFL provides full uniform, pads and helmet that must be returned after the last game. Players will need to supply their own cleats.